This year, Girl Geek Scotland worked with Digital Scotland to produce a report to inform, encourage and support school age girls to consider a career in technology and related sectors through a role model and mentoring initiative by Skills Development Scotland.
An introduction to becoming a digital technology role model or mentor for school age girls.
Free Webinar SIGN UP ON EVENTBRITE HERE
- Thursday 27th April (19:30)
- Thursday 4th May (12:30)
- Tuesday 9th May (10:00)
- Saturday 13th May (13:00)
We are repeating the webinar four times to ensure everybody who wishes to take part gets a chance to join in at a time that is convenient.
This is an online event lasting approximately 40 minutes.
Whether you’re a school leaver on a training course, a recent graduate, or early in your tech career, please volunteer to become a role model or mentor for school age girls! By becoming a role model, you will be making an important contribution to the future of the digital technology sector and helping improve the economic prosperity of Scotland.
This training webinar will get you started, show you how to use the available resources, and help you know what to expect, so you can go into schools confident you are fully prepared.
You will learn how to talk to teenagers about digital technology and gender discrimination and why both are important. You will learn how to create engaging presentations and interactive learning experiences while developing your communication skills and enhancing your professional capabilities and relationships.
We will review the accompanying activity packs and guides that will help you when you are ready to become a role model or mentor. You will be able to download these soon from www.digitalworld.net
The webinar will cover:
- how to engage a teenage audience,
- why digital technology is important and the range of jobs available,
- why we have a gender problem in digital technology,
- why it is important to get more girls into technology,
- how to talk about jobs in digital technology so that they appeal to girls,
- how young people can get into the industry,
- how to use and tailor the provided resources,
- how to construct and deliver interactive learning experiences,
- what practical information and logistics you need before visiting schools,
- how to become a role model or mentor.
All the webinars will cover the same material but places are limited so please select a time that is suitable for you.
These webinars will use Google Hangouts to enable the widest possible audience. It’s available online and for both iOS and Android mobile phones. The link to the Google Hangouts will be shared with ticket holders the week before the webinar takes place.
Please also fill in our survey. This will help us understand what we can do to support and motivate you in your role.